A BRIEF HISTORY ON ROBINVALE COLLEGE
Robinvale College is a relatively new concept in learning in this region, and was brought about as a progression into a wider world of learning for the 21st century.
The new Robinvale College commenced on January 1st 2016 and is proud of its diverse multiculturalism and an outstanding record in terms of musical, dance and theatrical achievements along with our VCE students achieving above average results compared to similar schools. Our new learning community buildings each have areas named after each of the schools that were part of the Robinvale Consolidated School to keep in touch with our past history.
Our vision into the future is to be a learning hub for a thriving community which is inclusive of early childhood learning right through to adult education and community involvement.
A brief history on the Robinvale Consolidated School
The school opened in January 1925 in the former Golf Club House or hall and known as Robinvale Primary School No. 4237. In attendance were 44 pupils and 2 years later a new school building opened on Bromley Road.
In 1950 Robinvale was a gazetted Consolidated School after a parents' meeting on April 29th. A new site for the Consolidated School was selected on George Street and two buildings were occupied by grades 1 & 2 whilst more buildings started to arrive in the from of Wemen School, Speed East, Chinkapook, Lake Powell, Moss Tank, Bannerton, Kooloonong West, Rownack, Cowangie, Kattyong West and Boinka.
As the Robinvale Soldier Settlement grew, so did the school's population grow in leaps and bounds. With 258 students in attendance, classes were being held in shelter sheds, under trees, and on porches.
In 1957 all of the Consolidated School students transferred to the George Street site, leaving the Bromley Road school for the secondary school students.
Schools making up the Robinvale Consolidated School.
Latten’s Bend School No. 4427
Opened in 1923. Closed in 1936.
The building was relocated to Robinvale to become a private dwelling.
Lake Powell School No. 4241
Opened in 1925. Closed in 1946.
The building became the library of the Robinvale Consolidated School.
Bannerton School No. 4345
Opened in 1927. Closed in 1950.
The building was relocated to Robinvale Consolidated School.
Wemen School No. 4235 & Gayfield School No. 4227
Wemen opened in 1925 to work in as a part-time school with Gayfield until Gayfield closed in 1944 due to lack of numbers.
Wemen closed in 1947.
The building was relocated to Robinvale.
Robinvale Secondary College
The school was proposed at a meeting of the Robinvale State School committee on 30th July 1948 and began operation at the Bromley Road site under the name of Robinvale High School in 1957.
The school was originally a collection of rural buildings previously owned by the Robinvale Consolidated School.
In 1959 20 acres of land were selected on Latje Road, and the new school was officially opened by Hon. J.S. Bloomfield on 19th August 1960 with 135 students in attendance.
Enrollments grew to 400 by 1975 and by 2004 Robinvale Secondary College was the only secondary school in the area with 325 students.
We now enjoy a single school with a vibrant, diverse and inclusive environment where students are engaged in learning every day.
At Robinvale College we like to consider ourselves “in touch” with not only our students lives outside of the school ground, but the community as a whole. In doing this, we have embraced the use of social media both as a communication tool to students, families and the wider community, but also as a teaching tool adding depth of different angles to many classes and subjects.
Students are proactively taught the boundaries, dangers and positives of social media and are encouraged to create content for our Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Blog and Instagram channels.
Robinvale P-12 College
Robinvale P-12 College commenced on 1st January 2010, following the merger of the Robinvale Consolidated School and the Robinvale Secondary College. This merger brought the Consolidated School and Secondary School together into a unified learning environment. New learning centres have been constructed to accommodate learning for the 21st century, which includes the use of digital technology and open plan learning spaces.